Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Six Heroes

I have a few heroes. They are people who I have looked up to, who have traits and values I admire. The list is pretty short. Here are six of them. There are more.

My Aunt Doris - Who lived life with a smile on her face. Who was a model of class, dignity, and thoughtfulness, even when she was fighting leukemia.

My grandpa Bernie. Who always had that twinkle in his eye. Who always made sure I thought about what I said before it came out of my mouth. Who taught me to never take myself too seriously.

My first principal, Bud Kuhlman. Who has shown me the right way to do the job, and the right reasons for doing it.

My former principal Chuck Turner. Who has shown me how to deeply care for my students and the people I work with on my own terms.

Edmund Hillary, of Mt. Everest fame. Who taught to give back to those who have given to you, and to never take success for granted.

Bill Russell, of Boston Celtics fame. Who has personified the phrase "It is far better to understand than to be understood." Say what you want about Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, etc. It's a team game and Bill Russell was the best to ever play it. Period.

Anyway, I thought of this topic, when I came across a couple of videos of conversations between Bill Russell, and Kevin Garnett, who happens to be my favorite active player. So I thought I'd put them up on the old seldom-viewed blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment