Monday, August 6, 2012

Life of a Bear

Just returned from the now-annual trip to my friend Hannah's wilderness lodge in northern British Columbia.  It's 12 1/2 hours of driving each way (now faster with new truck) to Smithers and an hour each way in a float plane.  The physical work wasn't as tough this year, but trying to smooth things out between two people who don't get along well was taxing in its own way at times.

Summer is my time to do the kind of out-there thinking that I don't seem to be able to get around to during the school year.So the question, lately?  How did I end up where I'm at?  Teaching middle school?  Living in Bellingham?  Flying into the bush in B.C to clear trails, fix cabins, chop wood, and fish?

My last day of fishing at the camp I came face-to-face with a grizzly.  This got me to thinking, I've kind of lived life like a bear, just kind of following my nose.  I know it's popular to speak of goals and goal-setting, and I've done that to a certain extent at times, but most of the time I've just gone off after interests that I just felt like doing and I've done my best to avoid stuff I didn't want to do. 

This kind of living hasn't brought me huge monetary success or a big, happy, family life, but what the hell, it's been a pretty decent and rewarding journey.  I've never quite fit in with the cul-de-sac commandos, nor have I totally lived the life of the fun-seeking vagabond.

My path has led to a rewarding and challenging career of 24 years and counting, it's led me to some interesting long-term and short-term friendships, it's led me to some of the most beautiful places on the planet, and it's produced a philosophy of a deep reverence for the natural world and a deep cynicism of politicians, advertisers, and modern bullshit in general.

The downside is that it seems I have to keep on relearning stuff over the years.  Also, I have not exactly been a pillar of self-discipline.

Right now the nose keeps leading me to intertwine my love of nature and my teaching career.  I'm not really looking to do a hug-a-tree environmental school, but more a pursuit of bringing a greater nature element to the curriculum at school.  I think it's become my way of trying to help the kids battle the giant illusion that this techno craze is creating.  The kids still find tremendous joy in being active with one another outdoors.  I want to give them as many opportunities for that kind of joy as possible.  Plant the seed, so to speak, so these kids will care for their natural world when it's their turn to rule it.

No comments:

Post a Comment