Friday, May 4, 2012

Why, Oh, Why?

O.K., so I probably should steer away from this whole death theme, but Junior Seau's death has been on my mind a ton this week.  Here was a guy who was my favorite football player up until his first retirement.  I've always been a fan of linebackers, it was my favorite position to play and coach, and my favorite player right now is Ray Lewis.

So here is this Samoan guy who is considered amongst the toughest of the tough guys.  Someone who has been widely admired and beloved by millions of Americans, and yet not tough enough to beat depression.  Depression is a nasty and mysterious beast.  So many of us do battle with it at different levels.

That's right, I said us.  I've been butting heads with depression since before I knew what it was.  Like many men, I don't like to admit it sometimes has a grip on me, and definitely don't like to admit I can't handle it on my own.  For me, it rarely takes the form of real sadness, but rather an over-whelming feeling of just not giving a shit.  Fortunately, I have a great family and a few wonderful, close friends.  My job also helps enormously, it's hard to stay apathetic when your surrounded by the high-octane energy of middle-school kids all day.


My heart goes out not only to Junior, but especially to his family.  They now have to tackle the grief, and the endless questions of whys and what-ifs.  I'm praying for the Seaus and all of the other families who are left with the untimely death of a loved one.

No comments:

Post a Comment