Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Beyond Comfort Food

It's fall.  Yes, I know I've written that before, but it's FALL!  Uncle Mike and I headed for the hills to celebrate the annual opening of grouse season.  The weather was warmer than usual, but we did manage to find a few birds on our favorite ridge.  There's nothing like taking in the views of the Cascades, with a cooling breeze rustling through the trees while sharing a snack with someone who genuinely appreciates what it's like to be there this time of year.



Saturday night I went back and forth from the fire ring to the pickup cab to listen to the Husky football.  No, I didn't attend the University of Washington and had no desire to go to a school that big, but I have been watching and/or listening to their games since I was a little kid.  The Dawgs played their butts off, handing Boise State a 38 to 6 beating, revenge for last winter's bowl game loss.  I was ecstatic to hear that UW finally has a defense again.

Headed out after school to hike the Pine and Cedar Lakes Trail today.  Huffed and puffed my way up to the overlook ridge.  I didn't stay at the top long because there was a guy at the overlook who appeared like he needed solitude more than I needed to view the Islands.  On the way down, my mind drifted around to several topics, but seemed to land mostly on memories of when I coached football.  Coaching those boys years ago was an absolute joy, well, at least most of the time.  I often miss coaching the sport, but these fall afternoons out hiking or fishing have become too valuable.

I drank a bad-tasting protein shake when I arrived home to the kitchen.  It quelled the hunger long enough to make my favorite September meal, grouse pesto pasta with a fresh ear of corn and a fresh peach.  To me, that's about as good as it gets.  I missed not washing it down with an Alaskan Summer Ale, but the beer has to wait until the beer gut disappears.  About half way through the meal I seriously had this feeling of euphoria.  Maybe it had something to do with the taste, maybe the fond memories associated with the meal, or just because I was so damned hungry, but it felt awfully nice to be blissed out on a Wednesday evening.  Simple minds simple pleasures?

No comments:

Post a Comment