Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Rivers





Just got back from river fishing out on the coast. Just what the doctor ordered. Well, not really, the doctor ordered that I lose weight by eating better and exercising more. There was exercise involved, anyway. The last three posts I wrote were pretty heavy, so I think I'll lighten things up to start off the summer summer.


Favorite Fishing Streams That I'll Post On The Internet (by state)

WA - Sol Duc River
This emerald beauty has been a favorite of mine for over 30 years. There's so much variety, and you can always find a stretch to yourself. You can catch a steelhead in the Sol Duc any month of the year. If you time it right you can get into king, silver, and even sockeye salmon. The cutthroat fishing is really underrated.

ID - Big Wood River
A small, pretty river lined with cottonwoods. Lots of spunky rainbows with some browns in the lower river. Fishing the Big Wood kept me off of therapeutic drugs during a particularly nasty period of life. My favorite stretch is between Bellevue and the North Fork, but don't be afraid to fish below Magic Reservoir in the fall.

MT - Blackfoot River
A must-do if you've read A River Runs Through it. I don't care if you saw the movie. I like it best between Ovando and Scotty Brown bridge. Great fishing for bows, browns, cutts, and bulls. Stop in at Trixie's when you get off the river.

OR - McKenzie River
Another gorgeous west-side river that is a great all-day float in the summer. Go below the hatchery if you're after steelhead and king salmon, above if you want to catch trout and want less company. IfI I didn't live in Washington, I'd probably have wound up in Oregon fishing the McKenzie all the time.

AK - Deshka River
This was a fantastic four day float. Fly into a lake, blow up the raft, float down the outlet to the Deshka. Eagles, moose, beaver, etc. will watch as you start off by catching grayling and rainbow trout. Dream of brown bears when you pitch the tent on a sand bar each night. If you go in June, you can catch king salmon on the lower end of the float.

UT - Provo River
There are still times and places on the river when you can fish without crowds. If you do, you'll be rewarded. I've had some all-time best days on this little river. I've also gone there, looked at all of the SUVs and driven the hell out.

CA - Yosemite Creek
A small creek with mostly small trout, but the location is large. There's something mystical about fishing around the polished granite boulders and chutes for pretty little cutties. If I lived closer, I wouldn't put this creek on the list, but what the hell, go fish it, who knows when or if I'll get back.

Yellowstone
Way beyond being included in mere statehood, this is trout fishing Mecca. The park is literally all good, except where the water is hot enough to cook the fish. Just a flat-out spiritual quality place. There is just something in Yellowstone that grabs me deep down. Pick a favorite out of all of it? It would probably be the upper Lamar River in the fall. Don't die without making the pilgrimage.

OTHER FAVORITE STREAMS
Yakima River - WA, Skykomish River - WA, Metthow River - WA, Hoh River - WA, Skagit River - WA, Silver Creek - ID, Big Lost River - ID, St. Joe River - ID, Salmon River - ID, Galletin River - MT, Madison River - MT, Ruby River - MT, Bitterroot River - MT, Smith River - OR, Sandy River - OR

Oh, there are plenty of favorite streams that will never be printed here, including the one I want my ashes scattered in. Half the fun of finding such places is keeping them secret with the few people you can trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment